Affordable Housing News & Views - August 2023
Capitol Connection: Housing and legislative updatesListen in as Bob Moss and David Gasson, principals with MG Housing Strategies, join Beth Mullen, CohnReznick’s Affordable Housing practice leader, to discuss critical legislative updates for the LIHTC industry. This month’s conversation explores the continued fast-growing support for the Affordable Housing Credit Improvement Act (AHCIA), plus the prospects for a federal budget vs. a shutdown.
Tax Credit Monitor: August 2023 rates and fund performance
CohnReznick’s August 2023 Housing Tax Credit Monitor is now available. This edition features:
- 29 current national and regional funds offered
- Current LIHTC pricing
- Median surveyed housing credit pricing
Understanding basis eligibility: Implications of the 4% deal on calculations
Rising costs and competition have led affordable housing developers to more 4% deals – with huge implications for analyzing basis-eligible costs. In this Tax Credit Advisor article, Beth Mullen, CohnReznick’s Affordable Housing industry leader, discusses today’s basis eligibility landscape and how a developer’s funding stack can be better utilized to continue to fund affordable housing.
Multifamily housing: A resilient asset class amid changes in markets, climate, and more
CohnReznick and DisruptCRE recently brought together top real estate executives to discuss multifamily real estate trends and perspectives for 2023 and beyond. Highlights for affordable housing stakeholders include how to build not only housing, but community; trends threatening affordable housing margins; ways the political climate is impacting and incentivizing affordable housing; and more.
Historic Tax Credit Coalition (HTCC): A key voice for affordable housing
Utilizing federal historic tax credits for preservation, rehabilitation, adaptive re-use, and re-development of historic buildings can be a creative and economically beneficial enterprise for affordable housing developers, investors, owners, and communities. The Historic Tax Credit Coalition (HTCC), a leading advocacy group for the credit, helps to bridge the gap between various stakeholders’ understanding of the program and how it can better serve the community development industry. Learn more about the organization and explore membership options for general members, small firms, non-profits, and more.
Catch us on the Move:
Our team will be attending several exciting industry events over the next few months. Reach out to the CohnReznick team member listed below to schedule time to connect.
- Florida Housing Coalition Conference (Aug. 28-30 | Orlando, FL): Matthew Barcello, Managing Director, Project Finance & Consulting
- 29th Annual NASLEF Conference (Sept. 6-8 | Nashville, TN): Pushpita Kotikalapudi, CPA, Partner
- California Housing Consortium 2023 Policy Forum (Sept. 7 | Anaheim, CA): Ahamadou Alainchar Bocar, CPA, Assurance Partner
- 2023 NMHC Fall Meeting (Sept. 11-13 | Washington, D.C.): James P. Martinko, CPA, Office Managing Partner - Bethesda
- Upstate New York State Affordable Housing Conference (Sept. 14 | Albany, NY): Jason C. Rocker, CPA, CGMA, Partner
- Virginia Housing Alliance Housing Credit Conference (Sept. 19-20 | Richmond, VA): Russell Phillips, CPA, Partner
- 2023 New Jersey Governor’s Conference on Housing and Economic Development (Sept. 28-29 | Atlantic City, NJ): Jason C. Rocker, CPA, CGMA, Partner
- San Diego Housing Federation 2023 Affordable Housing & Community Development Conference (Oct. 2-3 | San Diego, CA): Ahamadou Alainchar Bocar, CPA, Assurance Partner
- NPH Affordable Housing Conference (Oct. 6 | San Francisco, CA): Michael J. Good, CPA, Partner
- Give Kids a Chance Golf Outing (Oct. 9 | Miami Beach, FL): Michael Celkis, CPA, Partner
- 2023 Housing Colorado Conference (Oct. 11-13| Keystone, CO): Beth Mullen, CPA, Partner, Affordable Housing Industry Leader
- Annual Nevada Housing Conference (Oct. 11-12 | Las Vegas, NV): Matthew Barcello, Managing Director, Project Finance & Consulting
- 2023 OFN Conference (Oct. 15-18 | Washington, D.C.): Scott Szeliga, CPA, Office Managing Partner - Baltimore
Bonus! Check out our interactive, musical conference experienceOver the past few months, we’ve been bringing our Embrace the Movement content series to life with an interactive conference booth experience: A “Find Your Album” wall featuring real estate-industry-themed plays on familiar songs. Learn more, and don’t miss our playlist to enjoy as you’re on the move this summer. Explore the experience >
Subject matter expertise
CPA, Partner, Affordable Housing Industry Leader
Let’s start a conversation about your company’s strategic goals and vision for the future.
Please fill all required fields*
Please verify your information and check to see if all require fields have been filled in.