CohnReznick’s Tax Credit Investment Services (TCIS) is a dedicated business unit within CohnReznick that provides strategic advisory and due diligence services to help institutional investors make informed decisions on acquiring and managing tax-advantaged investments. Not only do community development tax credit investments help banks meet their obligations under the Community Reinvestment Act (CRA), they also offer institutional investors a competitive rate of return and a very low risk profile.
2021 Tax Credit Study updates
How do your properties stack up?
Leverage interactive operational and performance data for housing credit properties.Utilize reports and tool
The TCIS team is comprised of a multi-disciplinary group of professionals including CPAs, financial analysts and other professionals with real estate, banking and public-sector experience.
Working with commercial real estate, compliance, and corporate tax personnel, TCIS provides advisory services related to equity market conditions, investment options, investment due diligence, regulatory requirements, and investment impacts to financial statements.
TCIS also provides advisory services focused on best practices in due diligence, asset monitoring, and counter-party risk management, which result in improvements to community investment strategies, policies and procedures, legal documentation, and investor reporting.
Working with commercial real estate, compliance, and corporate tax personnel, the TCIS team helps developers and investors of housing credit properties understand equity market conditions, investment options, investment due diligence, regulatory requirements, and investment impacts to financial statements.
Composed of a multidisciplinary group of professionals including CPAs, financial analysts, and other professionals with real estate, banking, and public-sector experience, TCIS also helps improve community investment strategies, policies and procedures, legal documentation, and investor reporting. Services are focused on developing best practices in three key areas: due diligence, asset monitoring, and counter-party risk management.
TCIS consults with and provides industry data and insights for stakeholders including the U.S. Government Accountability Office and numerous investors, syndicators, and developers. The team’s projects have included:
• Producing a bi-monthly “Housing Tax Credit Monitor” for the National Housing & Rehabilitation Association’s Tax Credit Advisor magazine, reporting housing tax credit equity market trends and pricing
• Developing the Portfolio Performance Indicator (PPI), the nation’s first interactive platform for housing credit property operational and performance data
• Authoring over 600 investment due diligence reports for tax credit investors
• Providing multi-investor, proprietary, and secondary market transactions analysis
• Designing the industry’s first and leading third-party application that automates the proportional amortization method for housing tax credit investments
Tax credit and investment strategies
- Assist with strategic planning and execution to satisfy client-specific investment goals
- Educate clients on investment methods and investment offerings
- Speak regularly at industry events to increase understanding of tax-advantaged investment vehicles
Investment Due Diligence
- Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the managers of housing tax credit, renewable energy and any tax-advantaged investment fund offerings
- Assess the risk profile of property and fund investments
- Review and stress-test financial and accounting assumptions of property and fund investment projections
Financial Accounting and Consulting
- Consult on technology platform needed to support the accounting for tax credit investments
- Implement AmortizationPro, the industry’s first and leading third-party application that automates the proportional amortization method for housing tax credit investments as well as other accounting methods for tax credit investments
Portfolio and Asset Management Reviews
- Review investment portfolio records to identify yield and benefit delivery results
- Review investment portfolio records for unclaimed tax credits and loss benefits
- Evaluate asset management reporting utilized to monitor portfolio performance
- Advise on exit strategies to reduce asset management burden.
Organizational Assessment and Best Practices
- Evaluate current policies and procedures for identifying suitable investments, undertaking due diligence, negotiating business terms and approving investments, closing investments and monitoring performance, investment disposition, and troubled asset workout
- Benchmark policies and procedures to industry best practices and identify deficiencies
- Review strategic, compensation, and succession and contingency plans, as well as business continuity and disaster recovery plans
- Evaluate individual investment criteria in the context of strategic plans
- Assess client interdepartmental coordination
- Assess reliance on external resources for investment acquisitions and asset monitoring
- Make recommendations for improvements to operations and procedures
Market Education and Industry Research
- Monitor and benchmark tax credit industry landscape, performance track record, and stakeholder activities
- Present basic investment considerations through the life cycle of tax-advantaged investments
- Develop staff training materials relative to tax-advantaged investments
- Provide policy and regulatory advisory services
- Provide insight on the LIHTC market
Affordable Housing Tax Credit Study
Affordable Housing CRedit Tool: Interactive LIHTC Property Underwriting Data Tool
On-Demand Webinar: LIHTC Property Performance
National Trends & Analysis
Affordable Housing News & Views
Housing Tax Credit Monitor:
Access the Latest Insights