Federal, state, and local tax programs and incentives can help businesses finance new projects, expand operations, train employees, and enhance after-tax earnings. With one of the largest State and Local Tax practices in the country, CohnReznick will work with you to identify the right strategic opportunities for your business and guide you from research through implementation.
Our team members have experience working with clients on film tax credits, Urban Enterprise Zone tax benefits, and New York State’s Excelsior jobs tax credit, as well as audit defense work and planning when needed. In addition, we have assisted clients as they are planning to relocate or in the process of researching new areas of expansion, including providing reviews of applicable incentives and credits in new states. We work with clients to determine the credits and incentives they should include in their planning processes as they look to the future. States and localities offer various tax credits and incentives, many of which are based on qualifying investments and new job creation. These benefits can come in many forms, including:
- Income/franchise tax credits
- Sales and use tax credits, as well as exemptions
- Discretionary tax incentives
- Grants and/or microloans to help subsidize operations
Areas in which states offer incentives include:
- Investment tax credits for qualifying capital improvements or equipment
- Job training credits for employee training and/or retention Job creation credits for new employment created within the state
- Relocation credits for shifting employees from one state to another
- Relocation credits for moving expenses
- Credits and incentives for hiring qualified veterans, individuals with disabilities, or at-risk youths
- Research and development (R&D) tax credits for the costs incurred in R&D
- Work opportunity tax credits (WOTC) for hiring individuals from targeted groups
- Film tax credits
- Green tax credits for sustainability and efficiency
- Credits for investments in Opportunity Zones
What can CohnReznick do for you?
CohnReznick's team utilizes years of experience and relationships with economic development departments to provide clients with to help clients identify and maximize opportunities. Our team members can:
- Perform comparative analyses of available tax credits and incentives in requested states, quantify potential benefits, and work with economic development agencies to help obtain statutory and/or discretionary tax incentive packages.
- Review company activities to identify retroactive credit opportunities, including identifying credit types, quantifying the benefits forgone, and claiming identified credits for prior years by filing amended returns.
- Work with clients who have already obtained credits and incentives packages to implement best practices and help complete annual certification requirements.
- Identify tax exemptions and/or credits that can be utilized immediately, without a formal application process.
InsightNew York State issues pass-through entity tax guidance: Making an election, estimated payments, and moreArvinder Kaur, Corey L. RosenthalTechnical Memorandum TSB-M-21(1)C, (1)I addresses issues such as, how does an entity make an election, or pay an estimated payment? Read more.
InsightIRS provides additional ERC guidance on calculations for newer businesses, majority owners’ wages, PPP loan forgiveness as gross receipts, and moreDana FriedNotice 2021-49 and Revenue Procedure 2021-33 cover majority owners’ wages as Qualified Wages; PPP forgiveness amounts and the gross receipts test; and more.
InsightPrepare to apply quickly for New York’s Restaurant Return-to-Work Tax Credit programYelena Belaks, Stan SolomonRead which businesses are eligible, how and when to apply, and other key information for New York businesses impacted by COVID-19.
InsightCOBRA premium assistance, employer tax credit available for 2021 Q2 and Q3Dana FriedRead key details of the American Rescue Plan Act’s Q2-Q3 COBRA premium assistance and employer tax credit: eligibility, taxation, how to claim the credit, and more.
InsightAn overview of tax provisions in Biden’s American Families PlanBrian Newman, Stephen Gregory, Yasmina BersbachRead how President Biden’s recently introduced plan would change income and capital gains tax rates, various tax credits, and more.