Federal, state, and local tax programs and incentives can help businesses finance new projects, expand operations, train employees, and enhance after-tax earnings. With one of the largest State and Local Tax practices in the country, CohnReznick will work with you to identify the right strategic opportunities for your business and guide you from research through implementation.
Our team members have experience working with clients on film tax credits, Urban Enterprise Zone tax benefits, and New York State’s Excelsior jobs tax credit, as well as audit defense work and planning when needed. In addition, we have assisted clients as they are planning to relocate or in the process of researching new areas of expansion, including providing reviews of applicable incentives and credits in new states. We work with clients to determine the credits and incentives they should include in their planning processes as they look to the future. States and localities offer various tax credits and incentives, many of which are based on qualifying investments and new job creation. These benefits can come in many forms, including:
- Income/franchise tax credits
- Sales and use tax credits, as well as exemptions
- Discretionary tax incentives
- Grants and/or microloans to help subsidize operations
Areas in which states offer incentives include:
- Investment tax credits for qualifying capital improvements or equipment
- Job training credits for employee training and/or retention Job creation credits for new employment created within the state
- Relocation credits for shifting employees from one state to another
- Relocation credits for moving expenses
- Credits and incentives for hiring qualified veterans, individuals with disabilities, or at-risk youths
- Research and development (R&D) tax credits for the costs incurred in R&D
- Work opportunity tax credits (WOTC) for hiring individuals from targeted groups
- Film tax credits
- Green tax credits for sustainability and efficiency
- Credits for investments in Opportunity Zones
What can CohnReznick do for you?
CohnReznick's team utilizes years of experience and relationships with economic development departments to provide clients with to help clients identify and maximize opportunities. Our team members can:
- Perform comparative analyses of available tax credits and incentives in requested states, quantify potential benefits, and work with economic development agencies to help obtain statutory and/or discretionary tax incentive packages.
- Review company activities to identify retroactive credit opportunities, including identifying credit types, quantifying the benefits forgone, and claiming identified credits for prior years by filing amended returns.
- Work with clients who have already obtained credits and incentives packages to implement best practices and help complete annual certification requirements.
- Identify tax exemptions and/or credits that can be utilized immediately, without a formal application process.
InsightUpdate: Claiming research & development (“R&D”) credits on amended tax returnsScott Hamilton, Jessie Cahill, Scott IbbotsonAdditional requirements for research credit refund claims only apply to amended returns, the IRS recently clarified. Learn more.
InsightIRS issues guidance for employers that reduced tax deposits and/or claimed advances on now-unavailable Q4 2021 ERCsDana Fried, Tim MorrisonNotice 2021-65 outlines how and when to repay advances for Q4 2021 Employee Retention Credits, or pay previously undeposited Q4 employment taxes. Read more.
InsightFinal tip credit rules: What hospitality businesses should know about credits for tipped vs. non-tipped servicesWhen can an employer take a tip credit for employees whose services are both directly tip-producing and supporting that work? Read our overview and examples.
InsightInfrastructure bill eliminates 2021 Q4 Employee Retention Credit (ERC) for most employersDana FriedWith the exception of recovery startup businesses, employers are no longer able to claim an Employee Retention Credit for Q4 2021. Read more.
InsightAffordable Housing CRedit ReportThis report, the latest in our biennial series, provides comprehensive data, analysis, and insights into the latest performance trends observed across the surveyed portfolio, collected from more than 30,000 housing tax credit properties. Use it to benchmark portfolios, develop best practices, and gain insights into the affordable housing industry.