Cost segregation and other fixed asset studies can create significant tax benefits for owners by accelerating tax depreciation deductions. Cost segregation studies assign certain building costs to shorter depreciable tax lives. The resulting accelerated depreciation can result in the deferral of substantial amounts of tax. Other fixed asset studies accelerate deductions by identifying deductible repair expenses, de minimis expenses, or amounts that may be deducted as partial (or full) dispositions.
CohnReznick’s fixed asset team includes engineers and tax professionals (such as former IRS attorneys) with deep tax technical and construction industry experience. We perform cost segregation and other fixed asset studies for:
- Recently acquired and constructed real property.
- Real estate acquired or constructed in prior years.
- Costs to expand or renovate real property.
- Property stepped-up to market value.
- Other situations, such as tangible property regulations and de minimis or partial disposition
Alerts and Webinars