Value360: 2022 year in review
CohnReznick’s Transactions and Turnaround Practice was rebranded Value360 in July 2022 to reinforce the firm’s ability to help clients create value at every point of the business lifecycle. Building on its success in 2021, the practice exceeded $100 million in revenues in 2022 and experienced double-digit organic growth. The team continued to advise clients in many different industries as they sought to execute capital markets transactions, performance improvement activities, and restructuring/bankruptcy initiatives.
With a team nearing 250 members, the practice significantly expanded its leadership ranks with multiple strategic hires in transactions, valuation, project finance and consulting, and restructuring and dispute resolution. In addition, the practice expanded its service offerings to include infrastructure advisory as well as financial modeling and decision analytics.
Practice areas: Key stats
- 850+ transactions valued at more than $25 billion
- Generated ROI (return on fees) for clients ranging from 2x-44x
- Serve majority of syndicators in $22 billion affordable housing financing market
- Testified at 39 hearings, in 9 states, representing 18 developers related to our Solar Farm Property Value Impact Studies
North Carolina Mill Rehabilitation Tax Credit (Article 3H) reinstated
- Background: After the state legislature in North Carolina re-instated a tax credit statute that had expired, we determined that our clients could benefit significantly from the tax credits.
- Our role: Technical subject matter expert/ drafted submission for credits on behalf of the client
- Results: After submitting a request for ruling, client received favorable determination from the Department of Revenue and is expecting an additional $3 million of tax equity.
Lisner Louise Dickson Hurt Home operating cost financial model
- Background: A not-for-profit operator of an affordable housing facility for seniors needed to reduce its operating costs and sought analysis under different scenarios.
- Our role: Created a budget/proforma model to conduct the comparison
- Results: Client leveraged our analysis to support a submission to a third-party entity for grant funding. Client was rewarded with a $3.5 million grant from the third party to fund much-needed renovations and capitalize a reserve for services.
- Background: A specialty retailer and consumer lender needed guidance on an acquisition which required raising a debt facility to finance the buyout.
- Our role: Lead acquisition advisor
- Results: Finalized the structure of the sourced capital and connected the buyer with a provider who funded the capital needed to acquire and operate the post-close store. Helped the buyer realize a 30% increase in financial performance through revenue improvements and lean operation initiatives, including beneficial lease modifications.
- Background: A third-generation, family-owned, beverage distributor with $300 million in revenue had to manage financial distress after leveraging the business to acquire a competitor.
- Our role: Performance improvement consultant
- Results: Increased EBITDA by 75% and generated a 200% increase in equity value. Improved Q1 cash flow by $650,000 while maintaining a 10% improvement in weekly cash flow through upgraded collections. Reduced inventory investment by 10% and dilution by $700,000 on rising sales. Realized more than $1.3 million in warehouse and delivery cost savings despite increasing volume.
Private equity majority stake acquisition of privately owned media and entertainment company
- Background: A capital provider concentrating on special situations required confirmatory financial due diligence as part of its acquisition process. Areas of focus included:
- Quality and sustainability of earnings (QofE)
- Purchase agreement assistance
- Identification and confirmation of operating trends
- Review of financial and operating environment and controls
- Identification of potential key-risks and areas of improvement
- Our role: Financial and tax due diligence advisor
- Results: We identified areas of risk and determined/quantified limited exposure. We uncovered areas where the seller/acquired entity could benefit from post-acquisition. The transaction successfully closed.
Acquisition of a durable medical equipment (DME) provider by a strategic client – Buy-side due-diligence
- Background: Our client, an in-home medical equipment/supplies provider, required confirmatory financial due diligence that included a billing, coding, and compliance review of the target in connection with an acquisition.
- Our role: Financial due diligence and billing, coding and compliance diligence
- Results: We identified an overstatement of earnings in the most recent period, resulting in a significant reduction in purchase price. We helped the client identify $1.4 million of vendor synergies that could be achieved on day one post-close.
Market studies for the Cesar Chavez Foundation
- Background: One of the most prominent affordable housing foundations required market studies for their full affordable housing portfolio.
- Our role: Demand analysis assessment
- Results: The data we collected allowed the client to assess rents and revise projections for 2023. Overall increase in bottom line allowed for additional resources to be funneled into future.
- Background: Two solar developers disagreed about the value of a solar renewable energy credit (SREC) strip for solar projects that were bought and sold. The seller hired us to determine the value.
- Our role: Valuation advisor
- Results: Our valuation was used to settle the case and confirm $1 million due to our client. Attorneys acknowledged that our expert witness deposition was key the settlement.
Subject matter expertise
Managing Principal, Value360 Practice
Let’s start a conversation about your company’s strategic goals and vision for the future.
Please fill all required fields*
Please verify your information and check to see if all require fields have been filled in.