CPA, CIRA, CFF, CCFE, Partner Restructuring and Dispute Resolution Practice
Vincenzo (Vinni) Toppi conducts internal investigations, fraud examinations, contract compliance and testing, royalty audits, and computer forensic services on behalf of CohnReznick clients. He focuses in areas involving misappropriation of funds or assets, asset tracing and recovery, insider and third-party transfers, and insolvency analysis.
Active in numerous fraud and forensic accounting investigations, Vinni is a senior member of the NHL/NHL Players Association engagement team where he is involved in the analyses of individual teams’ reporting for compliance within the financial terms of the collective bargaining agreement (CBA). He has significant experience investigating compliance with royalty and revenue sharing arrangements.
- Assists major sports league with testing and analyses of league's individual teams’ reporting for compliance with financial terms of the collective bargaining agreement
- Conducted forensic investigation for the State of Connecticut’s Office of Policy and Management in connection with the use of Coronavirus Relief Funds by 169 municipalities statewide.
- Financial advisor to debtor for St. Francis Hospital (Poughkeepsie), a 333-bed hospital and trauma center that treated more than 125,000 patients annually and employed roughly 2,000 employees. Assisted with the formulation of a plan of reorganization, a sale of the company assets, and the retention of services and employees. Bankruptcy case recognized as M&A Advisor’s Restructuring Deal of the Year in 2014 ($10 million – $100 million)
- Helped commercial real estate developer reconstruct more than six years of books and records and conduct an internal investigation of employee misconduct
- Conducted testing of third-party manufacturing costs and verified contract compliance for an international pharmaceutical company, identifying overbilling in excess of 44%
- Assisted medical device manufacturing company by conducting a computer forensic examination and internal investigation of employee misconduct, recovering deleted company files, and providing dispute resolution services
- Provided financial advisory services to the Committee of Unsecured Creditors for New England Motor Freight, a $350 million trucking and logistics company. Bankruptcy case recognized as M&A Advisor’s Restructuring Deal of the Year for 2020 ($25 million – $50 million)
- Co-author and editorial board member for The General Counsel’s Guide to Government Investigations, published by GICLI.
Events and speaking engagements
- How Forensics Protects Your Organization Against Rogue Employees, The Institute of Internal Auditors, Philadelphia Chapter, Spring Summit, April 2022
- Digital Assets and Blockchain, NY Institute of Credit, January 2022
- Chief Audit Executives and In-House Counsel, Government Investigation and Civil Litigation Institute, November 2021
- Fraud in the Not-for-Profit Environment, Florida Institute of CPAs, May 2021
Awards and recognition
- M&A Advisor’s Restructuring Deal of the Year for 2020, Bankruptcy Case for New England Motor Freight
- M&A Advisor’s Restructuring Deal of the Year for 2014
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Association of Certified eDiscovery Specialists
- Government Investigation and Civil Litigation Institute, Advisory Board Member
- BS, Accounting – McGowan School of Business at King’s College