Managing Director, Restructuring and Dispute Resolution Practice
Steve Courtade is a seasoned financial and accounting professional with over 25 years of experience working in the for profit, not-for-profit, and government sectors. His expertise includes restructuring underperforming companies as well as improving financially healthy businesses.
Steve has worked with more than 75 client companies across the U.S., Mexico, Canada, and Australia and has hands-on experience as a President/CEO, Chief Financial Officer, Chief Operating Officer, Chief Restructuring Officer, Treasurer, Receiver, and Financial Advisor. He has worked in a wide variety of industries with client company revenues ranging from $20 million to over $1 billion, with the sweet spot of serving as an Interim CFO for mid-sized companies with revenues of $50 - $500 million.
Experience and Credentials
- CRO for 250+ unit national exercise franchise system severely impacted by profitability constraints, major litigation between master franchisor and franchisees, owner debt and COVID-mandated closures of units. Negotiated with multiple adverse parties to reach a global settlement.
- Restructuring team member for a $250 million textile mill impacted by COVID and under lender pressure for an exit. Negotiated multiple forbearance extensions, reduced operating costs to be in-line with revenue drop, and redeployed non-performing assets into cash. $90 million lender debt paid down to $45 million within 12 months. Lender successfully refinanced out in full.
- Interim CFO & President for second generation family business providing composite and metal fabrication parts to OEMs. Significantly reduced cash burn, negotiated through past due vendor payment issues and parts stoppages to continue supply chain, negotiated additional cash loans from major customers, and significantly increased product prices across the board to keep business alive and 300 employees working. Business was successfully sold.
- Interim CFO for a $180 million housewares manufacturer/importer. Served as Advisor to company during their bankruptcy. Returned post emergence as CFO two years later when company hit a speed bump. Successfully reduced operating and overhead costs and renegotiated secured lender debt. Company returned to profitability.
- Interim CFO/CEO of a Latino music company for private equity group. Worked with the PE group to finalize sale of music library. Resolved over $12 million of outstanding royalty and infringement litigation within six months for significantly reduced settlements.
- Interim CFO for Certified B Corp working with indigenous people of Papua New Guinea to conserve their rainforests and generate revenue through sale of carbon offset credits. Worked with company to get it up and running, resulting in first major launch of sold carbon credits.
- Review of $100 million electronic/computer parts distributor for senior secured lender. Reviewed both short term and long-term cash projections for feasibility, reviewed major SKU profit margins, and company’s financial viability.
University of Houston, MBA – Finance and Accounting
University of Houston, BBA – Finance