Receive CohnReznick insights and event invitations on topics relevant to your business and role.
Client Data Privacy Notice
Last Updated: December 21, 2023
WHO IS PROVIDING THIS NOTICE AND WHO DOES IT APPLY TO?
This privacy notice (“Notice”) is made on behalf of CohnReznick LLP (“CR”) and CohnReznick (Cayman) Certified Public Accountants (“CR Cayman”). CR and CR Cayman are collectively referred to herein as “CohnReznick”. However, CR and CR Cayman are separate legal entities, and each entity is solely responsible for its own acts and/or omissions.
This Notice applies to the extent CR or CR Cayman, as applicable accesses, collects, uses, processes and/or stores personal information in furtherance of the performance of services and obligations and exercise of rights under any type of agreement for services or other contract between CR and/or CR Cayman, as applicable, and Client (referred to herein as the “Contract”) and/or discussions in connection with a potential Contract.
References to “Client” herein refer to the individual(s) or entity(ies) for whom services are or may be performed and the individual(s) or entity(ies) who signed and/or may sign a Contract. Please refer to your Contract to identify the name and contact details of the relevant CohnReznick entity for the purposes of this Notice.
This Notice sets out the basis on which personal information will be processed by CohnReznick, and supplements CohnReznick’s other policies which address laws governing access, collection, use and processing of personal information for residents or consumers located in other jurisdictions (collectively referred to herein as the “Privacy Laws”). All capitalized terms used but not defined herein shall have the meanings set forth for such terms in the applicable Privacy Laws.
Please read this policy carefully to understand our policies and practices regarding your information and how we will treat it. If you do not agree with our policies and practices, your choice is not to enter into a Contract with us. By agreeing to a Contract, you agree to this Privacy Notice. This Notice may change from time to time (see Changes to Our Privacy Notice). Your continued use of our services after we make changes is deemed to be acceptance of those changes, so please check the policy periodically for updates.
WHERE DO WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION FROM?
CohnReznick collects personal information by lawful means (for example, when CohnReznick is engaged to perform services or participate in discussions in connection with a potential engagement to perform services). CohnReznick may collect personal information from the Client or from third-party sources. These sources include, but are not limited to:
- any information provided by Client at any time;
- from our service providers or other entities assisting with our business;
- marketing purposes such as registering for events, requesting information about CohnReznick and its services, completing a survey;
- publicly available and accessible directories and sources, including websites;
- governmental agencies and departments and tax and other regulatory authorities;
- third parties, such as bankruptcy registers and credit reference agencies; and
- fraud prevention and detection agencies and organizations, including law enforcement.
CohnReznick may combine personal information provided to CohnReznick with personal information obtained from third-party sources or from our website. This may include personal information collected in an online or offline context.
WHY AND HOW DO WE PROCESS PERSONAL INFORMATION?
CohnReznick may use, disclose, process and/or retain personal information of Client, customers and service providers of Client, employees and personnel of Client, and third parties whose information is provided by Client or is required to perform a service on Client’s behalf (i) if necessary for the performance of services and other purposes set forth in the Contract, (ii) as required to comply with applicable law, regulations, professional standards or obligations to the Client, (iii) for CohnReznick’s legitimate business purposes or those of a third party to whom your information is disclosed, and (iv) in accordance with the instructions of Client or as consented by the data subject. Such use, disclosure, processing and/or retention of personal information may be used for the purpose of performing and improving services, supporting business operations and maintaining Client relationships, and may include the following:
- For execution of a Contract, to execute and protect our rights or the rights of our service providers under a Contract, or enforce the terms and conditions arising under a Contract (e.g., performing services, maintaining the client relationship, keeping the client informed, invoicing and bill collection) or other agreement between the parties;
- To perform client acceptance procedures, including verifying identities and addresses and performing other due diligence to protect our business interests and to determine eligibility for services;
- To comply with legal, tax, accounting, or regulatory obligations to which CohnReznick or a third party is subject, including complying with auditing standards;
- To manage risk and operations, legal obligations, including ensuring internal compliance with our policies and procedures, to respond to regulatory and government oversight applicable to CohnReznick, and to investigation complaints or pursue and defend claims, proceedings, or disputes;
- To protect the security and integrity of CohnReznick’s information technology systems;
- To provide information about relevant services offered by CohnReznick, opportunities and experiences offered by CohnReznick;
- To evaluate, develop and improve the quality of CohnReznick’s professionals and services or our website and for other related internal business purposes;
- To seek professional advice, such as from professional advisors (including, but not limited to, legal counsel);
- For recruitment and evaluation of qualifications for employment or internships;
- For website related services, like analytics, insights, or customer support, quality and safety maintenance, or to develop new technological improvements;
- To evaluate or facilitate the sale or potential sale of all or part of CohnReznick or CohnReznick’s potential acquisition of other entities;
- As otherwise disclosed upon collection, or to the extent Client or a data subject provides other consent or authorization to the collection, use, disclosure and storage of personal information.
WHAT SORT OF PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
The types of personal information CohnReznick collects depends on the nature of the Contract and services to be performed by CohnReznick. Such personal information may include:
- Names, signatures, photographs, copies of identification, and contact information, such as home or business addresses, email addresses and telephone numbers;
- Biographical information, including date of birth, places of birth, country of domicile and/or your nationality, tax identification number, social security number, tax status, passport number or national identity card details, race (only upon your consent), and employment history;
- Financial Information relating to income, expenditure, assets and liabilities, ownership interest in an entity, source of funds and wealth, as well as bank account details; and
- Background Information for client acceptance procedures.
DO YOU HAVE TO PROVIDE US WITH THIS PERSONAL INFORMATION?
CohnReznick will request and collect personal information for the purposes set forth in this Notice and the relevant Contract. Some of the personal information CohnReznick requests must be provided in order for CohnReznick to perform the services and/or obligations set forth in the relevant Contract. If you do not provide the personal information, CohnReznick will not be able to perform such services and/or obligations. In other instances, personal information provided by you is purely voluntary, and there are no implications for you if you do not wish to provide such personal information to CohnReznick.
WHO DO WE SHARE PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH?
CohnReznick may disclose personal information to its affiliates, contractors, and service providers (collectively, “Service Providers”) provided such disclosures are lawful and made in furtherance of approved purposes. Service Providers may include, but not be limited to, external contractors, accounting and professional services firms, information technology vendors, cloud hosting providers, technology providers, and relationship management software providers for business and marketing purposes, to provide the CohnReznick services, to support business operations, to store and protect information, and for other approved purposes.
CohnReznick may also disclose your personal information to third parties, including, but not limited to:
- our employees, certain affiliates, contractors, agents and third-party vendors to perform services related to your account, to offer our products and services, and for business operations;
- professional service providers for business operations;
- information technology, software, and cloud providers, security providers, and similar services in connection with providing services and in the support of daily operations;
- service providers to support business operations, develop, operate, and maintain our website, and for marketing purposes;
- government agencies and regulators to fulfill legal obligations;
- a buyer or successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which Personal Information held by us is among the assets transferred or third parties in connection with CohnReznick’s acquisition of other entities;
- to third parties for the purposes of fraud prevention and credit risk reduction (e.g., if we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of CohnReznick, our clients, or others);
- to enforce or apply any agreements, contracts between us, including for billing and collection purposes;
- law enforcement or government officials; or
- any other entity disclosed by CohnReznick when you provide the information, or for which you provide consent.
Client is responsible for ensuring that, in connection to any third-party personal information made available to CohnReznick, it has complied, and will continue to comply, with all applicable laws relating to privacy and data protection and it has, and will continue to have, the right to transfer, or provide access to, such personal information to CohnReznick for processing in accordance with the terms of the Contract and this Notice. In relation to any special categories of personal information made available to CohnReznick, Client is responsible for obtaining the explicit consent from each data subject(s) for the processing of such personal information by CohnReznick in accordance with the terms of the Contract and this Notice.
HOW DO WE PROTECT AND HANDLE PERSONAL INFORMATION?
CohnReznick will use commercially reasonable efforts to keep personal information confidential and to not disclose personal information to any third party except as permitted by the Contract, this Notice or with Client’s prior written consent, except as stated herein. CohnReznick may utilize service providers to assist with or directly provide Services to you as outlined in the “Who Do We Share Personal Information With” section above. CohnReznick will notify Client after becoming aware of a breach of personal information as required by applicable law.
Upon reasonable request and to the extent required by the applicable Privacy Laws, CohnReznick will make available to the Client all reasonable information necessary to demonstrate compliance with the applicable Privacy Laws governing its personal information and contribute to audits and inspections conducted by Client, or its designee, relating to such compliance. All such activities shall be conducted at Client’s cost and expense and shall be performed during regular business hours and in a manner that does not unreasonably disrupt CohnReznick’s business.
Certain states and countries have enacted privacy laws that may apply to you. Please visit our website to find our specific policies for those particular jurisdictions, which contain specific disclosures and information concerning your rights. All such jurisdictional privacy policies are incorporated by reference herein.
RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Client information, which may include personal information of Client’s customers, employees or other third parties, will be retained by CohnReznick will only be retained for as long as is required for the purposes for which it was collected and for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, contractual or reporting requirements. Any personal information retained by CohnReznick shall remain subject to the protections of the Contract and this Notice.
If any data subject whose personal information CohnReznick holds has any questions about CohnReznick’s collection, use, disclosure, processing and/or retention of his or her personal information under the Contract, the data subject may contact CohnReznick using the following methods:
(i) If the relevant Contract is with CR:
a. By written notice to:
Attn: Legal Department
14 Sylvan Way
Parsippany, New Jersey 07054,
b. By email to: Privacy@CohnReznick.com;
c. By telephone at: 1-862-245-5031
(ii) If the relevant Contract is with CR Cayman:
a. By written notice to:
CohnReznick (Cayman) Certified Public Accountants
Attn: Cayman Data Protection Enquiry
P.O. Box 1748
19 Tarpon Island Drive
Newlands, Grand Cayman KY1-1109
Please note that we may ask you to verify your identity before responding to such requests. We may also require that you confirm your identity by providing a driver’s license, passport or other form of identification as allowable under each applicable Privacy Law. The data subject also has the right to lodge a complaint with applicable governmental, regulatory, supervisory or data protection authorities, including the Data Protection Ombudsman under the applicable Cayman Island Privacy Laws.
CHANGES TO THIS NOTICE
You are advised to review this Notice periodically for any changes. We may update this Notice from time to time as it may be revised due to legislative changes, changes in technology or our privacy practices or new uses of Personal Information not previously disclosed in this policy. We will notify you of any material changes and update the “Last Updated” date at the top of this Notice. Changes to this policy are effective when they are posted on our website. If you have any comments, concerns or questions about this policy, please contact us.