Meene joins CohnReznick as Principal in Government Contracting Practice
TSB-M-21(1)C, (1)I, issued Aug. 25, 2021, clarified a few major open questions, including:
- How does an entity make an election?
- An election can be made through the entity’s state Online Services account for the 2021 PTE tax year by Oct. 15, 2021. Access or create an account here.
- For years 2022 and later, an election can be made through the Online Services account between Jan. 1 and March 15 of the respective taxable year.
- Estimated payments for the PTET are not required for the 2021 tax year; but if an entity wants to make an estimated payment, how can it do so?
- The state says in the memorandum that it will provide an estimated tax application by Dec. 15, 2021, so that payment can be made prior to Dec. 31, 2021.
- Are members still required to make estimated payments for 2021?
- Members of an electing PTE should continue to make their own estimated payments for tax year 2021.
- How can a qualifying member claim the PTET credit on its return?
- A new form, Form IT-653, will be available for members to be able to claim the credit.
The technical memorandum also provides detailed information and examples on how to calculate PTE taxable income for partnerships and S corporations; treatment of the PTET credit; and applicability of a resident credit for similar PTE taxes paid to other jurisdictions.
Access Our Government Contracting Topic Page for Key Insights & Powerful Tools